Re: Problem compiling Octave on Mac OS X

From: Bernard Desgraupes
Subject: Re: Problem compiling Octave on Mac OS X
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:08:35 +0200

I have been building Octave from the HEAD sources (I mean the latest version in the Mercurial repository) recently and I also stumbled into this metis issue.
MacPorts uses the following trick to get around this:
post-patch {
reinplace "s|-lcholmod|-lcholmod -lmetis|g" ${worksrcpath}/ configure
}

In other words they patch the configure script. As a result the Makefile contains the following declaration:
CHOLMOD_LIBS = -lcholmod -lmetis

The issue indeed is just that the metis library is not found at link time. Adding -lmetis solves the problem. I suggest the macro in the configuration phase checking for the presence of CHOLMOD be improved and include this -lmetis bit.

cheers

Bernard