Re: Re; Re; Windows

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Re; Re; Windows
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 13:01:37 -0400

On 11-May-2009, Rob Mahurin wrote:

| On May 11, 2009, at 1:17 AM, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
| > On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 6:59 AM, dmelliott <address@hidden>
| > wrote:
| >>    All the binaries you have ever installed into a Windows OS.
| >
| > ... go on ... example? Remember that Octave is GPL and written in C++.
| > That surely does not apply to "all the binaries" I ever installed into
| > Windows (last time, that was IE7 installed on someone else's
| > computer). Off my head I can't think of a Windows-enabled GPL software
| > written in C++.
|

| here are some projects that are GPL'd, written in C++, and
| distributed from sourceforge.
|
| Notepad++     http://sourceforge.net/projects/notepad-plus/
| FileBreaker   http://sourceforge.net/projects/filebreaker/
| WideStudio    http://sourceforge.net/projects/widestudio/
| Bouml         http://sourceforge.net/projects/bouml/
| aBiblia               http://sourceforge.net/projects/abiblia/
| PokerTH               http://sourceforge.net/projects/pokerth/
| MathFrame     http://sourceforge.net/projects/mathframe/
|
| I don't know how these projects prepare binaries to distribute.

I'm not sure I understand the point are you trying to make.  Suppose
they are compiled with MSVC and include the run-time libraries with
the distribution.  That doesn't mean that it is OK.  The FSF claims
that such distributions are not OK.  So should we (or someone) tell
these projects that they are violating the GPL?  Or do you hope to
change the opinion of the FSF by pointing out that these many
projects could be violating the terms of the GPL (I doubt they would
be swayed)?

OTOH, maybe all these projects are distributing binaries created with
MinGW.  If so, there is likely no problem.

FWIW, I would prefer it if the primary Windows binary for Octave was
created with MinGW.

jwe