Re: Re; Windows

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Re; Windows
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 20:08:42 +0200

søn, 10 05 2009 kl. 12:31 -0500, skrev dmelliott:
>     However, none addressed the situation: how do all the other sources in
> the world manage to issue Windows compatible binaries without any problem,
> and why can't Octave do it likewise?

Well, we answered the question you actually asked :-)

I didn't follow the discussion too close, but the impression I got is
that the legal argument for why we cannot distribute the binary is
somewhat technical and that the jury is still out on weather or not it
actually holds.

>     If you require all Windows users to compile, you will loose a
> significant constituency.  I know a large number of Matlab users, very few
> of who know how to compile or would used it if they had to.  In this time of
> "plug and play", an application that is not ready to go, won't.

Yes, we all agree on that. But what is the solution? Would you recommend
that we break the law? You have access to the source code, so if you
don't mind the legal risk then you should consider distributing a
binary.

Personally, I was sad to see the binary removed, but I respect the
decision of the binary maintainer.

Søren