How to supress debug symbols?

From: Alexander Mamonov
Subject: How to supress debug symbols?
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 14:25:46 -0500

Hello,

I'm trying to compile Octave from the recent sources (MinGW TDM gcc
4.3.0), and I want to keep the size of the resulting ddl's small. I
tried adding -Wl,--strip-debug to LDFLAGS, but it seems that it does
not affect anything. After ./configure I can see my LDFLAGS being
added to Makeconf, but when the dll is built, I do not see my LDFLAGS
in the console output. If I hack Makeconf and add -Wl,--strip-debug to
SH_LDFLAGS it works, but this is of course very ugly way of doing
things. What is the proper way to build Octave without debug symbols?

Thanks,
Alex