Re: Solving PDE; novice question

From: martin_helm
Subject: Re: Solving PDE; novice question
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 05:43:39 -0700 (PDT)

Carlo de Falco-2 wrote:

> On 15 Apr 2009, at 00:18, Ivan Sutoris wrote:
>
>> I'm not expert on PDE's, but I think Octave itself does not have
>> specific function for PDE solving, and I don't see such package at
>> Octave-Forge either. I've discovered some finite element code for
>> Octave on the web [1], [2] , but haven't tried it myself.
>>
>> [1] FEMOCTAVE: http://ideas.repec.org/c/cod/octave/c090801.html
>> [2] OctMesh: http://octmesh.forja.rediris.es/
>
> Among packages devoted to solution of  PDEs in general, I'd like to
> mention, in addition to the ones above,
> the octave-forge package BIM
>
> [3] BIM: http://octave.sourceforge.net/bim
>
> but, to my knowledge, none of the above can deal out of the box with
> the kind of non-linear integro-differential problem mentioned by th OP
>
>> Regards
>> Ivan Sutoris
>
> c.

So far I know not directly an octave package for conservation laws.
If you are interested in introductory code (as I understand your question),
to start your own octave coding for the equations you mentioned have a look
at

http://www.math.toronto.edu/mpugh/Teaching/Mat1062/mat1062.html

especially

http://www.math.toronto.edu/mpugh/Teaching/Mat1062/conservation_laws.html

(There are some simple .m files which should directly work with octave).

There exists also some code for matlab to solve burger's equation at

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/11101

but this one needs some rework for octave since it uses ode15s (which is not
in octave).

- mh