Re: Matlab tools boxes

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: Matlab tools boxes
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 04:53:51 +0200

On 15 Apr 2009, at 00:29, Griffith Dan-RYZL90 wrote:

Octave,

We use Matlab from Mathworks. In conjunction with Matlab we rely on several Mathworks tool boxes including Communications Toolbox, Filter Design Toolbox, Signal Toolbox, Statistics Toolbox, Control Toolbox, and Fixed Point Toolbox to name a few.

Does Octave provide these same tool boxes?

In "Octave talk" tolboxes are called packages.
"Octave-Forge <http://octave.sf.net> is a central location for the collaborative development of packages for GNU Octave", among the long list of packages you can find there, you might in particular be interested in the following:

Communications: http://octave.sourceforge.net/comm
Control: http://octave.sourceforge.net/control
Fixed: http://octave.sourceforge.net/fixed
Signal: http://octave.sourceforge.net/signal
Statistics: http://octave.sourceforge.net/statistics/index.html

as far as I know these packages are also included in the binary installer for windows and in some of the main GNU/Linux distributions.

We are in semiconductor design, would your product be an alternative or is Octave just the base Matlab type product?

Although much care is devoted to try to keep compatibility of the interpreted language with matlab, I think most Octave developers don't regard the project as a "matlab replacement"

Regards
Dan

HTH
c.