Re: Performance optimization (allocation inside a for loop)

From: r
Subject: Re: Performance optimization (allocation inside a for loop)
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 00:18:28 +0100

This is a general problem. It doesn't just affect scripting languages
- you may hit this issue equally well in C/C++.

A common strategy is to allocate a bit more space than currently
needed, so that malloc/realloc doesn't need to be called every single
time the user appends data to the structure. Even better, this margin
can be made dependent on the current structure size (e.g. proportional
to n or to log(n)). This second scheme results in better
performance/memory occupation ratio.

I'm (now) perfectly OK with preallocating memory manually, but it took
me a lot of time to figure out where the bottleneck is. BTW, low "for"
loop performance is commonly blamed on the lack of a JIT compiler, but
I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the test cases were
actually suffering from issues like memory allocation. After all, JIT
compilers don't typically speed up evaluation by more than a constant
factor.

Regards,
-r.