RE: thnking about an Octave Game Engine...

From: Sven-Erik Tiberg
Subject: RE: thnking about an Octave Game Engine...
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 21:52:31 +0100

Hi

If I may some comments.
A game engine should run in pseudo-realtime, meaning that the game calculation must run in loop where each timesteep in the loop must be close to realtime.
Many game functions are based in time-depending calculations ( position, velocity a.s.o. ).
The engine need to interact with asyncrone states over the internet from the 3Dbrowser.
All this are not impossible to make with octave, as discussed in a previous thread.

Next step are defining the protocol with the 3Dbrowser, this area are under devolopment in the opensource comunity, and there are some suggestion f.example a protocol based on Open Grid Protocol used by SecondLife.
http://www.octaga.com/ are working on an open protocol to add a custom made node as game engine to a simulation/game world.
One approach could be to make a simple UDP protocol using www.h3dapi.org with twisted-python script as client, or make an interface to a www.croquetproject.org client using smalltalk.
There are certainly more ways to make a game engine to a 3D world. ( www.pygame.org + www.h3dapi.org , http://www.modelica.org/ ).
And then we have another thrilling challenge multi user game.
Ain't life exciting.

/Sven-Erik Tiberg
Lulea Univ. of Technology / Sweden