Re: thnking about an Octave Game Engine...

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: thnking about an Octave Game Engine...
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 17:42:06 +0100

søn, 08 02 2009 kl. 08:33 -0800, skrev James Moliere:
> I’ve been thinking about an Octave game engine where it’s primarily
> written in C++ and uses an Octave interpreter.  The C++ aspect of the
> game would have threads represent events and display so when mouse/key
> clicks are captured, events can be redirected to Octave methods.

I don't work with game development, but a few of my colleagues does, so
from time to time I take part in discussions like this. It seems to me
that the most important part, when choosing languages for game engines,
the most important thing to keep in mind is the user of this language.
Are you targeting game designers? If so, Octave is probably to
"math-oriented".

As to speed, etc., then I think Octave is just as fine (or better) than
Lua or python.

Søren