Re: interactively modifying a "1d" plot with the mouse?

From: Rob Mahurin
Subject: Re: interactively modifying a "1d" plot with the mouse?
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 13:22:57 -0500

On Jan 5, 2009, at 11:24 PM, roumba wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to find a way to modify the plot of a monodimensional array,
using the mouse.
Basically I need to be able to drag my mouse over the plotted function and when I click and drag a point in the curve, that point would move and modify the curve accordingly. The result of the modifed curve should be returned as
an array.
What would be the easiest way of acheiving this? Is there any octave GUI module that already does something similar? Should I learn openGL and write
a .oct for that? What would be the best approach?

I am running octave 3.0.1 under OS X 10.4.11 and aquaterm 1.0.1

I think that Octave sends plotting output to gnuplot, aquaterm, and the other plotting backends, but does not read from them.

You can sort of do this if you plot using gnuplot and x11. With an x11 plot the coordinates of the mouse pointer appear at the bottom of the plot. You can middle-click or option-click to mark a point on the plot, and double-click to copy the coordinates of the point to the x11 clipboard. To copy the x11 clipboard to the OSX clipboard, press apple-C.

So, you can get the coordinates of a point with the mouse, but perhaps not in a straightforward way. I can imagine a script to identify and update a point in an array based on this sort of input, but not with any elegance.

Cheers,
Rob

--
Rob Mahurin