Re: interactively modifying a "1d" plot with the mouse?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: interactively modifying a "1d" plot with the mouse?
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:31:31 -0500

On  8-Jan-2009, Francesco Potortì wrote:

| >I think that Octave sends plotting output to gnuplot, aquaterm, and
| >the other plotting backends, but does not read from them.
|
| In fact, the ginput() function return the coordinates of the point where
| the mouse is clicked.  One could write a function using that input to
| modify the data...

The ginput function is a bit of a kluge.  It doesn't work when using
gnuplot with Octave on Windows, for example.  I don't think we will
have any really good solutions for interactive graphics as long as we
are using gnuplot to do the rendering.  Or at least not unless someone
improves gnuplot so that it is easier to get data back from it in a
portable way.

jwe