Re: Numerical Integration

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Numerical Integration
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:07:10 +0100

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 11-Dec-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>
> | Definitely. But actually, I guess it would be sort of promoting,
> | especially if we provided a notice like this:
> | "Due to a lack of MSVC-compatible free Fortran compiler for Windows,
> | in order to build Octave from sources with MSVC, you need a compatible
> | proprietary Fortran compiler. To avoid that,
>
> You could also insert here that using MinGW with GCC would work.
>
> | consider using a free
> | operating system like GNU, that comes with a free Fortran compiler".
>
> | Still, it doesn't solve the main problem.
>
> Sorry, what is the main problem?

The main problem is that Michael Goffioul is stuck with f2c because
there is no free MSVC-compatible Fortran compiler.
Some compilers are available gratis but don't allow distributing the
resulting binaries the way we do for Octave.
If we put money together, we could buy him a license for a proprietary
compiler; still, other users wanting to build on Windows/MSVC will
need to get licenses of their own.
I guess it's just too much trouble that outweighs the benefits of
requiring a Fortran 90 compiler for Octave.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert