Re: Numerical Integration

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Numerical Integration
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:35:40 +0100

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 8:28 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On  7-Dec-2008, Søren Hauberg wrote:
>
> | Perhaps Intel could be persuaded to donate a few licenses to their
> | compilers? What about mingw -- does that come with a fortran compiler?
>
> Yes, GCC includes gcc, g++, and gfortran.  As this is GNU Octave that
> we are working on and using, we should be promoting the use those
> compilers anyway, not proprietary software.

Definitely. But actually, I guess it would be sort of promoting,
especially if we provided a notice like this:
"Due to a lack of MSVC-compatible free Fortran compiler for Windows,
in order to build Octave from sources with MSVC, you need a compatible
proprietary Fortran compiler. To avoid that, consider using a free
operating system like GNU, that comes with a free Fortran compiler".

Still, it doesn't solve the main problem.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert