Re: Numerical Integration

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Numerical Integration
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 16:38:00 +0100

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Francesco Potortì <address@hidden> wrote:
>>IMHO, there are at least 2 advantages to Fortran over C++:
>>1. Speed of array access due to aliasing problems of pointers. In C,
>>most of these can be solved using restricted pointers in C99, but in
>>C++ there are no restricted pointers so far.
>>2. Compiling Fortran in very fast compared to compiling C++. On any
>>system I tried, libcruft is usually compiled in a flash.
>
> While trying to understand what Jaroslav wrote, and doing a research on
> "restricted pointers", I found out that the gcc manual contains this:
>
> |6.2 Restricting Pointer Aliasing
> |
> |As with the C front end, G++ understands the C99 feature of restricted
> |pointers, specified with the __restrict__, or __restrict type qualifier.
>
> I don't know yet what's the meaning of the above, but while I am
> studying I though that this may be of interest to you :)

OK, I know about this. I was already thinking whether we can possibly
detect (by autoconf) support of restrict, __restrict__ or __restrict
and use it within some C++ functions. The principal problem is that
when using restrict, the compiler is allowed to assume certain
conditions and it is the programmer's responsibility to ensure they're
satisfied.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert