Re: Does anybody have Octave code to draw Rayleigh fading envelope?

From: Illidan Modeler
Subject: Re: Does anybody have Octave code to draw Rayleigh fading envelope?
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 21:48:16 +0800

Hi Alex,

The sources I learned about that are 2 papers and the Wikipedia entry
for 'Rayleigh fading'. The information about the 2 papers are
summarized below:

J. I. Smith. 'a computer generated multipath fading simulation'.   in 1975
R.J. Punnoose, et al.  'Efficient Simulation of Ricean Fading within a
Packet Simulator'.  VTC 2000

They may be downloaded from  the following google sites:

http://sites.google.com/site/illidanmodeler/Home/radio-channel/computergeneratedmultipathfadingsimulation.pdf?attredirects=0

Generally it's a Rayleigh multi-path fading. There's an implementation
in previous message within this thread, whose code I guess might be
Fortran. Hope this information may be helpful to you.

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:20 PM, YanXT <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2008/10/2 Illidan Modeler <address@hidden>:
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> I'm quite interested in your C code. Do you mind sending a copy to the
>> List or me?
>>
>> I read the Wikipedia entry before I started this thread. And in J. I.
>> Smith's paper in 1975, there's a similar figure of a Rayleigh fading
>> envelope. That's exactly what I need to make by Octave or C right now.
>>

> please specify the formula of the envelope you want to plot.
> I'll try it.
>
> --
> Alex
>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 6:31 PM, Andreas Yankopolus <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Illidan,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your reply.
>>>
>>> There are a number of papers and scripts that deal with BER-SNR curve. But I
>>> need to compute amplitude-time curve, as given in a paper by J. I. Smith in
>>> 1975, with the title "a computer generated multipath fading simulation".
>>> This paper even gives listing of source code. But it's not
>>> Matlab/Octave code (seems like Fortran that I don't read).
>>>
>>> I have some C code to do this that I wrote for my Ph.D. work if you're
>>> interested.
>>> The original method for creating a time realization of Rayleigh fading
>>> appears in Jakes' book Microwave Mobile Communications. It sums together a
>>> large number of sinusoids with random phases and amplitudes to produce an
>>> approximation of the of the envelope (the PSD doesn't go to infinity like
>>> theoretical one). A refinement of that model by Dent, Bottomley, and Croft
>>> in Jakes' Fading Model Revisited uses Walsch-Hadamard matrices the scale the
>>> sinusoids and has better cross-correlation properties in applications where
>>> you're creating multiple envelopes simultaneously.
>>> I did some quick Googling, and the Wikipedia page gives the needed formulas:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_fading
>>> Cheers,