Re: Does anybody have Octave code to draw Rayleigh fading envelope?

From: Andreas Yankopolus
Subject: Re: Does anybody have Octave code to draw Rayleigh fading envelope?
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 06:31:13 -0400

Illidan,

Thanks for your reply.

There are a number of papers and scripts that deal with BER-SNR curve. But I need to compute amplitude-time curve, as given in a paper by J. I. Smith in 1975, with the title "a computer generated multipath fading simulation". This paper even gives listing of source code. But it's not Matlab/Octave code (seems like Fortran that I don't read).

I have some C code to do this that I wrote for my Ph.D. work if you're interested.

The original method for creating a time realization of Rayleigh fading appears in Jakes' book Microwave Mobile Communications. It sums together a large number of sinusoids with random phases and amplitudes to produce an approximation of the of the envelope (the PSD doesn't go to infinity like theoretical one). A refinement of that model by Dent, Bottomley, and Croft in Jakes' Fading Model Revisited uses Walsch-Hadamard matrices the scale the sinusoids and has better cross-correlation properties in applications where you're creating multiple envelopes simultaneously.

I did some quick Googling, and the Wikipedia page gives the needed formulas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_fading

Cheers,

Andreas