Plotting with Octave 3.0

From: Jean-Marc Valin
Subject: Plotting with Octave 3.0
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:02:13 -0400

Hi all,

I'd like to know if someone could explain to me how to plot properly
with the new 3.0 version. I do a lot of plotting for publications (i.e.
has to be reasonably pretty) and find that a lot of the things that I
used to be able to do with 2.1 no longer work. More specifically (I
might be missing some):

1) How do I set the "x ticks"? I used to be able to just do e.g. "gset
xtics (0,64,192,256,320,448,512)" and I'd have only those values on the
x axis. I can't do it with 3.0

2) How can I have colours with errorbar() plots? errorbar() used to just
change colour every time I called it, but it no longer does (and there
doesn't seem to be an argument for that). Funnily enough, that behaviour
changed from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1.

3) How do I put a legend outside the graph, at the bottom. I used to use
-3 for the legend position. Now, if I specify "outside", it puts it
outside, but always at the top-right. Specifying "south outside" still
results in the legend being at the top right.

4) How can I get ticks only on the x axis and not on the y axis? I used
to be able to set "xticks" only, but that no longer works.

5) How do I set the line style when plotting (e.g. doted lines)?

I'm sure I ran into a couple more of these annoyances, but don't
remember them all. Is there any document that says how to do that again
in 3.0 or failing that any plans on fixing the problem? Would it be hard to
just re-enable the gset command or something equivalent so I can at least work
around the missing features?

Cheers,

    Jean-Marc