Re: Plotting with Octave 3.0

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: Plotting with Octave 3.0
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 09:25:40 +0200

>4) How can I get ticks only on the x axis and not on the y axis? I used
>to be able to set "xticks" only, but that no longer works.

Use the 'axis' command, which is documented on the Two-Dimensional
Plots chapter in the manual.  Or do 'help axis'.

>5) How do I set the line style when plotting (e.g. doted lines)?

I think that you can play with the properties of the line once you plot
it.  Use 'get' and 'set' on the handle returned by the 'plot' function,
for example.  If I am not wrong, there are issues with gnuplot when
drawing dotted lines on the terminal, but not when printing.  Make a
search in the list archive and you should find something if you run into
this problem.

>I'm sure I ran into a couple more of these annoyances, but don't
>remember them all. Is there any document that says how to do that again
>in 3.0 or failing that any plans on fixing the problem?

The 'problem' is much improved Matlab compatibility in the plotting
area, which many people find important.  I wold not care personally,
because I do not use Matlab, but it is a design decision, so there is
nothing to fix on that side.

If, on the other hand, you really find a bug, please signal it on the
Octave bugs list <address@hidden>.

>Would it be hard to just re-enable the gset command or something
>equivalent so I can at least work around the missing features?

I think there are no missing features.  If you find one, please describe
it.  It will help all of us.

If you know gnuplot well and want to have a finer control on the
appearance of plots, you can do everything from inside Octave, and then
dump the plotting data to a file, edit it and use gnuplot directly, as
suggested by John W. Eaton in a message sent on this list on Tue, 29 Jul
2008:

|If you issue the command
|
|  figure (1, "visible", "off");
|
|before running your script, then it will set up the plot but not
|actually ask gnuplot to plot it.  Then you can run
|
|  drawnow ("x11", "/dev/null", 0, "debug.gp");
|
|and Octave will generate a file "debug.gp" that contains the commands
|it sends to gnuplot.

One further alternative is using the eps toolkit (octave-epstk package
in Debian), which has a series of commands for directly generating
postscript output to a file.  You will have a fine control on the
details: <http://www.epstk.de/>.

>...or get Octave 2.1, which does everything I need without the
>shortcomings (and plain bugs) in Octave 3.0.

If you find bugs in Octave, please signal them in detail, so that
someone can fix them and everyone can benefit from it.  Better yet, you
can help fixing code or documentation.  This project is run by
volunteers.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040