Fw: Future of Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Fw: Future of Octave
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 09:39:10 -0400

On 23-Aug-2008, Prof M. N. Anandaram wrote:

| Those who want such a thing can try Scilab(
| a French product available under GNUGPL) which already comes closer
| to Matlab.

Why do you say that Scilab is closer to Matlab?  My understanding is
that it does not have a syntax that is as compatible with Matlab as
Octave is.

| In this respect I would request Octave  to start an Octave
| File Exchange

Thomas already mentioned that the Octave Forge project already exists
for this purpose (and more).

However, I'd like to point out that Octave is a program, so I don't
think it can start something like this.  But perhaps you meant "the
Octave project" (in your original message that you sent directly to
me, you actually said "jwe").  Either way, this is precisely the kind
of thing that I would like to see change.  Instead of saying "some
other people" should do something, I would like to see more people in
our community taking initiative to start doing the things that they
are interested in rather than just posting ideas and hoping that
others will do the work.

jwe