Re: Future of Octave

From: José Luis García Pallero
Subject: Re: Future of Octave
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:32:42 +0200

I think that Octave should be evolve in order to improve the speed of execution of the scripts. Some people thinks that Octave is slower than MatLab in some cases and it is the reason because them use MatLab instead Octave. I remember that this list has a post about the implementation of a JIT substitute in Octave

2008/8/22 Javier Fernández <address@hidden>

> Subject: Future of Octave
> From: isaacgerg <address@hidden>
>
> Hi,
>   I think Octave is a really great tool and was impressed by the number of
> functions you have implemented.  I was wondering though, where is Octave
> going?  What are you short term goals (1 year) and long term goals (5 years
> and 10 years).
>
> Thanks,
> Isaac

There were some conference papers, but JWE thoughts might have changed
in the meantime. I was concerned about what I read in the ISC'01 paper,
but I'm very glad with the current situation.

John W. Eaton.
Octave: Past, present and future.
In Kurt Hornik and Fritz Leisch, editors, /Proceedings of the 2nd
International Workshop on Distributed Statistical Computing, March
15-17, 2001, Technische Universität Wien, Vienna, Austria/, 2001.
http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/Conferences/DSC-2001/Proceedings/Eaton.pdf
http://jbrwww.che.wisc.edu/tech-reports/twmcc-2001-03.pdf

John W. Eaton and James B. Rawlings.
Ten years of Octave -- recent developments and plans for the future.
Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Distributed Statistical
Computing, Vienna, Austria, March 2003.
http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/Conferences/DSC-2003/Proceedings/EatonRawlings.pdf
http://jbrwww.che.wisc.edu/tech-reports/twmcc-2003-01.pdf

John W. Eaton:
"GNU Octave: History and Outlook for the Future"
2005 AIChE Meeting, Cincinnati Ohio, November 1, 2005
http://www.che.utexas.edu/cache/newsletters/fall2005_GNU.pdf

Last, but not least
http://cache.org/John%20Eaton-CACHE%20Award.html
Congratulations!!! (sorry for the ~3yr delay :-)

Coming from Raytheon, I wonder if you are considering quitting from The
Other Product :-)
http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/products/vis/visualization/matlab/mc2/mc2.pdf
(Red Raytheon logo on each slide) (remarks about MatlabMPI on slide 27/28)
I think I saw something relevant to T.O.P. wrt Raytheon but I cannot
remember what right now. I've been trying to find it again but I can
find only the MONARCH stuff. I must have seen it in the HPEC proceedings
http://www.google.com/search?q=Raytheon+HPEC

-javier