gnuplot no longer works

From: Dushan Mitrovich
Subject: gnuplot no longer works
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:41:43 -0700

I'm using Octave 3.0 under Mac OSX and have also installed gnuplot 4.2.2
that was included in the package.  After the initial install, gnuplot
displayed the plots as expected.

About a month ago, on the advice of AppleCare Support to try to fix an-
other, unrelated problem (getting FTP transfers to work), I did a so-called
'archive-install'.  After that, not only did the FTP problem persist, but
I've been discovering a number of other imporatnt things that no longer
worked, e.g. printing, and now gnuplot.  Here's what happens.

I've re-installed Xcode, X11, and AquaTerm, and also gnuplot.  To test
it out I invoked gnuplot by itself, with out going thru Octave.  First I
opened AquaTerm, then gnuplot, and tried to plot the sine function using
'aqua'.

                           ---------------------
  [~]$
  => exec '/Applications/GnuPlot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot'

          G N U P L O T
          Version 4.2 patchlevel 2
          last modified 31 Aug 2007
          System: Darwin 8.11.1

          Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004, 2007
          Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others

          Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual.
          The gnuplot FAQ is available from http://www.gnuplot.info/faq/

          Send bug reports and suggestions to
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot>

  Terminal type set to 'aqua'
  gnuplot> plot sin(x)
                           ---------------------

This produced exactly nothing, not even an error message.  So I tried X11:

                           ---------------------
  gnuplot> set terminal x11
  Terminal type set to 'x11'
  Options are '0'
  Expected X11 driver: /tmp/gnuplot-i386/libexec/gnuplot/4.2/gnuplot_x11
  Exec failed: No such file or directory
  See 'help x11' for more details

  gnuplot> plot sin(x)
  Expected X11 driver: /tmp/gnuplot-i386/libexec/gnuplot/4.2/gnuplot_x11
  Exec failed: No such file or directory
  See 'help x11' for more details

  gnuplot>

Unsurprizingly, this also produced nothing beyond the error message.
The '/tmp' directory does not contain 'gnuplot-i386', but I did find
'gnuplot_x11' in two places:

    .opt/local/libexec/gnuplot/4.0             <-- call this 'locA'
    .opt/local/var/macports/software/gnuplot/4.0.0.3+darwin_8/locA

I'm out of ideas what to try next.  Suggestions would be most appreciated.

- Dushan Mitrovich