Re: gnuplot no longer works

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: gnuplot no longer works
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 08:57:45 -0500

On Feb 17, 2008, at 2:41 PM, Dushan Mitrovich wrote:

I'm using Octave 3.0 under Mac OSX and have also installed gnuplot 4.2.2
that was included in the package.  After the initial install, gnuplot
displayed the plots as expected.

About a month ago, on the advice of AppleCare Support to try to fix an- other, unrelated problem (getting FTP transfers to work), I did a so- called 'archive-install'. After that, not only did the FTP problem persist, but I've been discovering a number of other imporatnt things that no longer
worked, e.g. printing, and now gnuplot.  Here's what happens.

I've re-installed Xcode, X11, and AquaTerm, and also gnuplot.  To test
it out I invoked gnuplot by itself, with out going thru Octave. First I opened AquaTerm, then gnuplot, and tried to plot the sine function using
'aqua'.

                          ---------------------
 [~]$
 => exec '/Applications/GnuPlot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot'

         G N U P L O T
         Version 4.2 patchlevel 2
         last modified 31 Aug 2007
         System: Darwin 8.11.1

         Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004, 2007
         Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others

         Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual.
The gnuplot FAQ is available from http://www.gnuplot.info/ faq/

Send bug reports and suggestions to <http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot >

 Terminal type set to 'aqua'
 gnuplot> plot sin(x)
                          ---------------------

This produced exactly nothing, not even an error message. So I tried X11:

                          ---------------------
 gnuplot> set terminal x11
 Terminal type set to 'x11'
 Options are '0'
Expected X11 driver: /tmp/gnuplot-i386/libexec/gnuplot/4.2/ gnuplot_x11
 Exec failed: No such file or directory
 See 'help x11' for more details

 gnuplot> plot sin(x)
Expected X11 driver: /tmp/gnuplot-i386/libexec/gnuplot/4.2/ gnuplot_x11
 Exec failed: No such file or directory
 See 'help x11' for more details

 gnuplot>
                          ---------------------

Unsurprizingly, this also produced nothing beyond the error message.
The '/tmp' directory does not contain 'gnuplot-i386', but I did find
'gnuplot_x11' in two places:

   .opt/local/libexec/gnuplot/4.0             <-- call this 'locA'
   .opt/local/var/macports/software/gnuplot/4.0.0.3+darwin_8/locA

I'm out of ideas what to try next. Suggestions would be most appreciated.

- Dushan Mitrovich

Youre gnuplot, aquaterm, etc are installed via MacPorts, correct?

Have you tried the MacPorts mail lists?

        http://www.macports.org/

Ben