Re: gnuplot no longer works

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: gnuplot no longer works
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:59:42 -0500

On Feb 18, 2008, at 12:58 PM, Dushan Mitrovich wrote:

Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Feb 17, 2008, at 2:41 PM, Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
I'm using Octave 3.0 under Mac OSX and have also installed gnuplot
4.2.2 that was included in the package.  After the initial install,
gnuplot displayed the plots as expected.

About a month ago, on the advice of AppleCare Support to try to fix
another, unrelated problem (getting FTP transfers to work), I did a
so-called 'archive-install'. After that, not only did the FTP problem persist, but I've been discovering a number of other imporatnt things
that no longer worked, e.g. printing, and now gnuplot.  Here's what
happens.

I've re-installed Xcode, X11, and AquaTerm, and also gnuplot. To test it out I invoked gnuplot by itself, with out going thru Octave. First
I opened AquaTerm, then gnuplot, and tried to plot the sine function
using 'aqua'.

                         ---------------------
 [~]$
 => exec '/Applications/GnuPlot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot'

   G N U P L O T
   Version 4.2 patchlevel 2
   last modified 31 Aug 2007
   System: Darwin 8.11.1

   Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004, 2007
   Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others

   Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual.
   The gnuplot FAQ is available from http://www.gnuplot.info/faq/

   Send bug reports and suggestions to <http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot

 Terminal type set to 'aqua'
 gnuplot> plot sin(x)
                         ---------------------

This produced exactly nothing, not even an error message.  So I
tried X11:

                         ---------------------
gnuplot> set terminal x11
Terminal type set to 'x11'
Options are '0'
Expected X11 driver: /tmp/gnuplot-i386/libexec/gnuplot/4.2/ gnuplot_x11
Exec failed: No such file or directory
See 'help x11' for more details

gnuplot> plot sin(x)
Expected X11 driver: /tmp/gnuplot-i386/libexec/gnuplot/4.2/ gnuplot_x11
Exec failed: No such file or directory
See 'help x11' for more details

gnuplot>
                         ---------------------

Unsurprizingly, this also produced nothing beyond the error message.
The '/tmp' directory does not contain 'gnuplot-i386', but I did find
'gnuplot_x11' in two places:

  .opt/local/libexec/gnuplot/4.0             <-- call this 'locA'
  .opt/local/var/macports/software/gnuplot/4.0.0.3+darwin_8/locA

I'm out of ideas what to try next.  Suggestions would be most
appreciated.

Youre gnuplot, aquaterm, etc are installed via MacPorts, correct?

Not quite. AquaTerm may have have been installed via MacPorts, tho I no longer remember the details from a few months ago; but gnuplot is the one
that came with Octave 3.0.0.

Have you tried the MacPorts mail lists?

        http://www.macports.org/

No I haven't but thanks for the suggestion.

- Dushan

This part of your prior post appears to indicate (to me) that macports (or perhaps its old name darwinports) was present. Where is the "opt" directory?

  .opt/local/libexec/gnuplot/4.0             <-- call this 'locA'
  .opt/local/var/macports/software/gnuplot/4.0.0.3+darwin_8/locA

Ben