Re: problem with gnuplot and octave, 2.9.19, MSVC build on windows XP

From: N. B.
Subject: Re: problem with gnuplot and octave, 2.9.19, MSVC build on windows XP
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 08:13:27 -0800 (PST)

I tried just a tad bit more. Maybe it doesn't make any sense, I don't know, but I tried popen2 instead of popen. Still it doesn't work, but it fails silently and the handle is not -1. On the other hand experimenting with the scripts, I stumbled on yet something else. There is a code in __gnuplot_version__.m:
[status, output] = system (sprintf ("%s --version", gnuplot_binary ()));
This seems to work under linux (Fedora 8, octave 2.9.15), but in windows, it gives an error:

octave:1> [status, output] = system (sprintf ("%s --version", gnuplot_binary ()));
error: value on right hand side of assignment is undefined
error: evaluating assignment _expression_ near line 1, column 19

Since it pointed to a c++ function (system, in this case), I stopped there, as I'm not sure exactly what I need to compile octave in windows (and how painful it will be, though should be OK once you set things up).
Kind regards,

Nusret