geting started in Ubuntu

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: geting started in Ubuntu
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:00:02 -0500

I have just set up a dual boot amd64 bit machine  with Ubuntu and XP on it

I am a long time Octave user and have made some contributions.

I want to get a complete Linux (umbutu) set up working so I can be a better contributer.

Is there some one out there that would take the time to help me get this working. ( I think we should do this off the list as most of the help I need is with Linux)

first question :
from ubuntu's package loader I cant find Octave.

I think the the Debian package might work but I looked at the debian web site and installed 2 packages but they seem to be only source files. Is there a running executable that I can get?

If not then how do I compile the ones that I downloaded?

Doug Stewart