Re: Executing octave from Octave.app (Macintosh)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Executing octave from Octave.app (Macintosh)
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:08:10 -0400

On  3-Oct-2007, Thomas Treichl wrote:

| Vic Norton schrieb:
| > How to get the octave in Octave.app to execute from terminal:
| >     $ octave
| > and to be called by the shebang line
| >     #!/usr/local/bin/octave.
| >
| > Put the two-line, shell-script "octave"
| >     #!/bin/sh
| >     /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave
| > in /usr/local/bin and make it executable.
| >
| > I guess this should be obvious, but it wasn't obvious to me. I've
| > wasted a lot of time trying to get symbolic links to work.
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Vic

Why doesn't a symbolic link work for this purpose?

I think you should be able to do

  cd /usr/local/bin
  ln -s /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave

and then create a script with the contents (say doit):

  #! /usr/local/bin/octave -qf
  1 + 1

and then

  chmod a+x doit
  ./doit

Or you can avoid the symbolic link if you start your scripts with

  #! /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave -qf

but people will have to change that when they run your code on a
system that has Octave in a different directory.

If you don't know where Octave will be installed and you want your
scripts to be somewhat more portable, you could maybe use something
like

  #! /usr/bin/env octave

instead, but unfortunately, adding arguments after the octave command
doesn't work as you might expect when it is used as a #! line.

jwe