Re: Fwd: Octave on Mac

From: poti
Subject: Re: Fwd: Octave on Mac
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 00:30:11 -0400

> Another thing is that octave.app has been prepared to work like you say, but
> just putting gnuplot into /Applications - don't know if this is all that has
> to be done for that gnuplot package. Try this from your Terminal.app
>
>   bash$ which gnuplot
>
> if it then says something like 'gnuplot not found' then you need to set up
> that package somehow different. *Maybe* something like an 'export
> PATH=$PATH:/<path to your gnuplot binary>' will help?!

It seems the above will not help. The binary inside the package
(gnuplot-version.app/Contents/MacOS/gnupolt-version) does not appear to
be compiled to accept input from stdin. Rather, it launches a console
interface to gnuplot. There is an included binary to pass scripts to this
app. I tried making this interface binary gnuplot, and calling
plot(y) from Octave, but this only activated the program with the
console and what appeared to be a blank editor page.

I tried passing arguments to the binary inside the app, but that also
was to no avail, just giving me the new console with a prompt waiting
for input.