Re: Axes object in Octave 2.9.12 and other plotting questions

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Axes object in Octave 2.9.12 and other plotting questions
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:38:34 -0400

On 14-Jun-2007, Mark B. wrote:

| I was able to sort out most of my problems but I am still unable to
| customize the ticks and tick labels for axis X. I have made my script
| runnable under Matlab 7 and Octave 2.9.12 for Windows (compiled with MSVC by
| David Bateman). Under the former, the script runs without problems and the
| plot shows the custom ticks, but in the latter it seems impossible to
| customize the ticks. Furthermore, the x tick labels appear messed up. Can
| please somebody point out how to make this work? I am including my function
| and a test script so that you can try everything by yourselves.

Please note that although the graphics features in Octave 2.9.12 are
more compatible with Matlab than ever before, Octave currently
supports only a small (though quite useful) subset of the ginormously
large number of properties and features of the Matlab graphics
system.

Currently, tick labels are one of the things that are not fully
compatible.  Patches are welcome.

Also, as I posted earlier today in another thread on this list ("Slow
carpet plots"):

  Note for everyone: this patch also shows how it is relatively easy
  to handle new properties.  Interested parties should not wait for me
  or other active Octave maintainers to implement all the properties.
  We will probably only add those that we care about.  If you would
  like to help out, then please submit some patches.  It is probably
  best to submit patches that add just one property at a time, or at
  most a few related properties.

| I need your help on this guys, please! If one cannot get help in the
| official Octave mailing list, then where?

Octave is a community project.  The help list is read by other Octave
users like you.  Unless you are paying someone specifically for
support, there is no guarantee.

jwe