Re: Octave 2.9.12 available for ftp

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9.12 available for ftp
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 21:18:07 +0200

Thomas Treichl wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> current CVS snapshot for octave-2.9.12 compiles fine for me on MacOSX 10.4.9
> IA32, I just have 4 fails for './make check', here is the output of the
> fntests.log:
>
>  >>>>> processing /Users/Thomas/Development/octave/scripts/set/ismember.m
>    ***** assert (ismember ('', {'abc', 'def'}), false);
> !!!!! test failed
> error: assert (ismember (, {"abc", "def"}),false) expected
> 0
> but got
> [](0x0)
> Dimensions don't match
>    ***** fail (ismember ([], {1, 2}), 'error:.*');
> !!!!! test failed
> error: expected error <error:.*>
> but got <parse error near line 183 of file ./fntests.m
>
>    syntax error
>
>  >>> ;
>      ^
>
>  >
>    ***** fail (ismember ({[]}, {1, 2}), 'error:.*');
> !!!!! test failed
> error: sort: wrong type argument `cell'

The errors in ismember are expected. See the various threads about them
over the last month.

>  >>>>> processing test_sparse
>    ***** assert(as./bs,sparse(af./bf,true),100*eps);
> !!!!! test failed
> error: assert (as ./ bs,sparse (af ./ bf, true),100 * eps) expected
>     Inf + Infi     2 -   1i   NaN - NaNi   NaN - NaNi
>       0 +   0i   NaN - NaNi   NaN - NaNi   Inf + Infi
>       0 +   0i     0 +   0i   NaN - NaNi   Inf - NaNi
> but got
>     NaN - NaNi     2 -   1i   NaN - NaNi   NaN - NaNi
>       0 +   0i   NaN - NaNi   NaN - NaNi   NaN - NaNi
>       0 +   0i     0 +   0i   NaN - NaNi   NaN - NaNi
> NaNs don't match

This is your C/C++ libraries and has also been discussed. I'll be very
happy when gcc/g++ give mathematically correct (not correct in terms of
a difficult to interpret standard as they currently seem to think is
correct) results for complex math. You can try reporting this to the gcc
lists, but that has been done in the past. The issues have also been
discussed quite a bit in the last year or so on the Octave lists. I
expect that gcc/g++ will eventually get it right.

Note your luck will vary with the compiler you use, I don't see this
particular bug (I see others) with g++ 4.0.1...

D.