Re: open socket with listen() and still have command line available?

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: open socket with listen() and still have command line available?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 11:35:07 -0400

Brian W. wrote:
Hi,
I have a question about the listen(port,...) function as described by 'help
listen' or at
http://octave.cvs.sourceforge.net/octave/octave-forge/main/miscellaneous/doc/listen.txt?view=markup
.

Is it possible to open a socket via listen(port) and still have the standard
input stream connected to the octave process?

I have tried all combinations of 'fork'|'nofork' and 'debug'|'nodebug', but
whenever I have called listen(port), any commands typed into the octave
command line are ignored (actually the prompt is missing, too).

Brian
So, there is a different socket package that also has a listen() function that is more similar to the POSIX socket interface. The socket functions in the 'miscellaneous' package ends up being a method of sending octave commands to another computer to be executed. The functions found in the 'socket' package are very similar to the posix ones, although I still need to document them more completely. Now that it looks like someone besides me seems interested in using it, I guess I now have the motivation to get the documentation done.

John