Re: Octave EXEC_PREFIX

From: Si Hammond
Subject: Re: Octave EXEC_PREFIX
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 10:16:11 +0100

Sure,

The steps I went through was to build Octave using:

CC="condor_compile gcc"
CXX="condor_compile g++"
F77="condor_compile g77"

Note: you MUST use gcc, g++ version 3.3, I haven't got it to work with any other compilers yet.

Once you've done a make all, do a make install and Octave will be 'installed' as per usual.

You can then use Octave as an executable in the standard environment. In order to get a .m file to run I create a text file which will be the Input= parameter for the Condor script - to load a .m in Octave you need to specify the name of the file without the .m extension. So for the input file you need to put this file name (minus .m) and then on a new line quit.

Put that file in your Condor input= parameter.

You job should be ready to run, make sure you put the .m file in the file transfer list.

Run the job (if it runs, you're done).

If you get an EXEC_PREFIX error you need to apply the patch that John sent out and recompile Octave.

Follow the same steps above. You might also need to put the following in your Condor file:

environment = "OCTAVE_HOME=<pathtooctave> PATH=<pathtooctave>:$PATH"

This puts the correct paths on the machines on which you execute Octave - note - this is only tested on Linux (we haven't got Condor on to our Windows machines etc yet, checkpointing won't work here anyway!).

Hope this helps, let me know if you get problems.

Si Hammond

Postgraduate - PhD,
High Peformance Systems Group,
University of Warwick, UK