Re: Convolve and Deconvolve not working right??

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: Re: Convolve and Deconvolve not working right??
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 21:58:41 -0700

Thank you for your suggestions and the paper, too.

I tried putting in all kinds of nonzero values, even as
large as .001 versus max of 1 and the thing still blows up

I tried a series of things that don't work.

My first idea was to convolve the guassiancurve [called
gt]with some 'magical' function should then recreate the
dirac function, or impluse function [called dt].

Now, how to find this magical function:

the idea is that rt [magical function] convolved with gt
equals dt.

since convolution is identical to multiplying in the
frequency domain..

Find the Fourier Transform for both gt and dt:
then rf times gf equals df.

dividing through finds rf = df/gf

Well I first tried this with the offset where the peaks
were at 51:

for gaussian curve...
>> x=(-50:50);
>> gt=exp( -(x.*x/200) );
which makes a nice shape
>> gf=fft(gt);

and for dirac
>> dt=zeros(1,101);dt(51)=1;
>> df=fft(dt);

then the spectrum of my magical form should be
>> rf=df./gf;rt=ifft(rf);
note rt comes back only real terms as expected
inspection looks about right.

but I think sum(rt) should equal 1, but is always .03...
so that's not right.

next
remember the step function that was convolved with gt?
well,
>> out=conv(rt,stept);
does not recreate the step function at all!

ok, well may be it didn't work because time equations
should be centered in time

so I tried half the gt and half the dirac:

interestingly, the df was 1 for all 101 as it should be
and the spectrum of fft(gt) looked about right.

yet this approach [with much fudging] yielded similar
results to the first approach, just different.

I think what Im missing is EXACTLY what the effect of the
fft over a limited range is doing to things.

Need some help here.

            Robert