Convolve and Deconvolve not working right??

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: Convolve and Deconvolve not working right??
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:51:53 -0700

Anybody here help with this?

I tried using conv and deconv to try something, but it does
not render the expected solution.

If I use:

>> stept=zeros(1,501);stept(1:251)=1;
then smooth it with a guassian shaped curve
>> smoothedstept=conv(sept,guassiancurve);

now recover the step by trying to deconvolve doesn't work
>> out=deconv(smoothedstept,guassiancurve);
produces an error that the first term is supposed to be
non-zero.

If I do this convolution followed by deconvolution with
truncated waveforms, it seems to work

so how do I fix it to work?

      Robert