octave 2.9.9 under cygwin does not find scriptfiles on network path

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: octave 2.9.9 under cygwin does not find scriptfiles on network path
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:31:21 +0200

Hello,

I am using octave 2.9.9 compiled under cygwin.
I experience the following problem: adding a network directory to octave's
searchpath works, but m-files located there are not found by octave
This problem also occurs with octave 2.9.6, but does not occur with
octave 2.1.73.

I have the following simple function located under /cygdrive/u:
$ cat /cygdrive/u/mytestfunction.m
function mytestfunction()

disp("in function mytestfunction");

endfunction

Following test procedure:
$ octave-2.9.9 --norc
octave-2.9.9:1> addpath("/cygdrive/u")
octave-2.9.9:2> path

Octave's search path contains the following directories:

.
/cygdrive/u
<snipped octave default load path here>

octave-2.9.9:3> stat("/cygdrive/u/mytestfunction.m")
ans =
{
  dev =  1.8792e+09
  ino =  1.2159e+19
  mode =  33188
  modestr = -rw-r--r--
  nlink =  1
  uid =  253788
  gid =  10545
  rdev =  1.8792e+09
  size =  77
  atime =  1.1610e+09
  mtime =  1.1610e+09
  ctime =  1.1610e+09
  blksize =  1024
  blocks =  4
}

octave-2.9.9:4> which mytestfunction
which: `mytestfunction' is undefined
octave-2.9.9:5> mytestfunction
error: `mytestfunction' undefined near line 5 column 1

I have a list of directories located at local hard drive added to
octave's searchpath, and here everything works fine. Only if I include
a network drive, something's wrong.

I searched the mailing lists, and came across the following bug
issued for octave-2.1.73
http://velveeta.che.wisc.edu/octave/lists/archive//bug-octave.2006/msg00123.html
but this was related to recursive loadpath searching - not really the
problem I encountered.

What can I do to debug this problem?
I tried the strace tool, but - frankly said -  I do not know where to
look for indications in the tons of lines I got.

any ideas are welcome!

benjamin
--
GMX DSL-Flatrate 0,- Euro* - Überall, wo DSL verfügbar ist!
NEU: Jetzt bis zu 16.000 kBit/s! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl