Re: octave 2.9.9 under cygwin does not find scriptfiles on network path

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: octave 2.9.9 under cygwin does not find scriptfiles on network path
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 07:57:27 +0200

> > On 16-Oct-2006, Benjamin Lindner wrote:
> >
> > | Hello,
> > |
> > | I am using octave 2.9.9 compiled under cygwin.
> > | I experience the following problem: adding a network directory to
> > octave's
> > | searchpath works, but m-files located there are not found by octave
> > | This problem also occurs with octave 2.9.6, but does not occur with
> > | octave 2.1.73.

<snip>

> > Presumably, somewhere in the output from strace there should be a
> > record of attempting to open /cygdrive/u/mytestfunction.m.  If not,
> > then why not?  If it is there, but the open fails, then why does it
> > fail?
<snip>

> I'm not sure if this is an octave issue or a cygwin issue.

OK, apparently this is a w2k-specific cygwin issue.
rewinddir() in dirent.h is not behaving as expected due to a bug in w2k
api, yielding wrong results on successive readdir() calls.
Thus a call to octave's dir_entry class' read() method (or equivalently
the octave built-in function readdir() ) will return only the two entries
"." and ".." on a network drive, therefore no scripts are found.

I posted this as a bug to the cygwin mailing list, and a fix has been
provided in cygwin cvs (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-10/msg00764.html)

As soon as there is a cygwin developer snapshot including this fix I will
test it and report back.

benjamin