Re: libSVM support in Octave

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: libSVM support in Octave
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 19:57:52 -0400

Schloegl Alois wrote:
Trying the run the function like this,

  model=svmtrain([1:100]'>50,randn(100,6),'-s 0 -c 1.000000 -t 0 -d 1');

results in this error message:

error: feval: the symbol `transpose' is not valid as a function
Error: can't convert libsvm model to matrix structure: cannot transpose SV matrix

This message is caused probably due to this sequence
  in svmtrain.c (line 263-265)
         // transpose instance matrix
                 if (mexCallMATLAB(1, plhs, 1, prhs, "transpose")) {
mexPrintf("Error: cannot transpose training instance matrix\n");

Before I dig into the code the find a workaround, I'd like your answer to the following questions.

- Is it correct that the functon mexCallMATLAB is not supported in the Octave-MEX interface? - if the answer is yes, are there any plans to implement it or is there an alternative function ?
Other people can probably answer this more definitively, but my reading of this is that it's trying to execute a function called transpose which doesn't exist. Does it still fail if you put a file called transpose.m in the path that just does this:

function x = transpose(x)
 x = x';
endfunction

If that works, then we probably need to add a function like that into the octave distribution for compatibility.

Bill