libSVM support in Octave

From: Schloegl Alois
Subject: libSVM support in Octave
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 23:33:14 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to use the libSVM toolbox http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~cjlin/cgi-bin/matlab.cgi?+http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~cjlin/libsvm/matlab+zip
which contains some mex-files.

Compilation of the functions was successful using these commands.
mex  svmpredict.c svm.cpp svm_model_matlab.c
mex  svmtrain.c svm.cpp svm_model_matlab.c

Trying the run the function like this,

 model=svmtrain([1:100]'>50,randn(100,6),'-s 0 -c 1.000000 -t 0 -d 1');

results in this error message:

error: feval: the symbol `transpose' is not valid as a function
Error: can't convert libsvm model to matrix structure: cannot transpose SV matrix

This message is caused probably due to this sequence
 in svmtrain.c (line 263-265)
        // transpose instance matrix
                if (mexCallMATLAB(1, plhs, 1, prhs, "transpose")) {
mexPrintf("Error: cannot transpose training instance matrix\n");

Before I dig into the code the find a workaround, I'd like your answer to the following questions.

- Is it correct that the functon mexCallMATLAB is not supported in the Octave-MEX interface? - if the answer is yes, are there any plans to implement it or is there an alternative function ?

Alois