system command status/output order changed in 2.9.x

From: Joshua Rigler
Subject: system command status/output order changed in 2.9.x
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:46:28 -0600

After a brief search, I could find no mention of this change in the last year's email list archives (as saved on my computer), nor by pointing Google at the standard Octave websites (including the wiki).

The output order of Octave's 'system' command seems to have changed since 2.1.x. It used to be:

> [output, status] = system(sys_cmd);

It is now (in 2.9.8):

> [status, output] = system(sys_cmd);

It seems to me that this warrants a note in the new 'NEWS' file (distributed in the source code tar-ball or via CVS), along with all the other changes due in Octave 3.x, since it could very easily change the behavior of an existing program without actually breaking it. For now, I've tried to structure this email so that it might easily be found using standard search engines on the Octave mailing list archives, just in case somebody else encounters this issue. Sorry for the distraction.

-EJR