Re: Prerequisites to 2.9.x

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Prerequisites to 2.9.x
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:51:23 -0600

Andy Adler wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, David Bateman wrote:
In addition to the 2.1.x dependencies you need GLPK and UFSPARSE. You
might also like to install METIS prior to UFSPARSE to get a faster
sparse cholesky factorization, though there are licensing issues with
that... I can send source RPMs of UFSPARSE and METIS, though as they are
lareg I prefer to do that offline. Tell me if you want them.

I would prefer to see these source RPMs available to all in an
easy way. If they are large for the list, I would be happy to host
a 'compiling 2.9.x utilities' page on my website.

For those interested in SRPMs of 2.9.x and dependencies, the development tree of Fedora (soon to be Fedora Core 5) has them. They can be found at http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/development/SRPMS/ . This includes SRPMS for ufsparse and glpk. The octave-forge SRPM that is currently in there is an old one that won't build with all of the other stuff installed--I'll update it as soon as we have a 2.9.x-compatible release. Everything else should work--I use these SRPMS on my FC4 system. When FC5 is released in March, these will be the official Fedora Extras releases. I'm hoping that 2.9.x will be considered the testing release (or at least close to it) by then.

-Quentin