Re: how to avoid plot legend

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: how to avoid plot legend
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 09:44:17 -0800 (PST)

--- "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On  5-Dec-2005, James R. Phillips wrote:
>
> | In general there is a larger and more expressive set of plot formatting
> | commands available using __gnuplot_set__ (formerly gset) than with direct
> | octave commands like legend, deprecations notwithstanding.
>
> Yes, but every one of them will fail when/if Octave's default graphics
> engine moves from gnuplot to something else.
>
> Symbols with names like __XXX__ are internal Octave variables and
> functions, so they should be avoided unless you you are willing to
> accept that your code may break in the future due to changes in the
> behavior of Octave's internals.
>
> jwe

I thought I might get a response on that statement.

Well, I'm just calling it the way I see it, from a user's perspective.  I
accept the probability of future breakage in return for actually getting useful
results today.  Availability of source code mitigates this issue, since today's
octave code will not only be available today, but into the indefinite future.

On a related subject: maybe it is Stockholm Syndrome, but I've grown somewhat
comfortable with gnuplot.  While I recognize the compatibility goals of the
project, I believe I and many users would be satisified with improving the
speed and convenience of using gnuplot vs implementing the entire handle
graphics enchilada.  Note: I am not recommending this approach, just
identifying my perspective as a user.

jrp