Re: Install 2.9.3

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Install 2.9.3
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 22:48:06 -0500

Ron Crummett wrote:

Hi -

I am trying to install version 2.9.3 on my Debian Sarge machine and when I run ./configure, I get the following errors:

configure: WARNING: I couldn't fine -ltermcap, -lterminfo, -lncurses, -lcurses, or -ltermlib!
checking for rl_set_keyboard_input_timeout in -lreadline... no
configure: WARNING: I need GNU Readline 4.2 or later
configure: error: this is fatal unless you specify --disable-readline

I'm new to all this, so...what does this all mean? I don't know how to tell if I have any of the items listed in the first line, and it looks like I have a version of GNU Readline that will work.

Any ideas of what I'm missing and how I can fix it?  Thanks.

I don't have much experience with Debian, but it looks like you probably have the libraries installed, but not the development headers needed for compiling programs that use those libraries. You will need to install some additional development packages, which will have a -dev extension to the package name in Debian (in other distributions it's -devel). For example, try installing libncurses5-dev using apt-get. You can probably find the names of the other packages you're looking for at http://packages.debian.org/stable/libdevel/. I hope this helps.

-Quentin