Re: superscript, subscript, Greek characters in plot labels?

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: superscript, subscript, Greek characters in plot labels?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:48:49 -0700

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 27-Oct-2005, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

| A S Hodel wrote:
| > The best answer of the many | > provided involves the use of the script fig2ps and a slight modification | > to the octave-forge print.m function so that it generates fig files with | > "special" text. | | fig2ps takes an option "--forcespecial" so that the text need not be | "special" in the .fig file itself. | | Another thing not yet mentioned is the use of sans serif fonts. I | accomplish this with a "sans_fonts.sty" file which contains the two lines | | \renewcommand{\familydefault}{\sfdefault}
| \usepackage{sfmath}
| | where sfmath.sty I downloaded from | | http://dtrx.de/od/tex/sfmath.html | | Then call fig2ps like this: | | fig2ps --add=type1cm,sans_fonts figure.fig | | The package "type1cm" causes latex to use scalable fonts.

If you are using LaTeX, then why go through the extra fig file format?
Why not use the epslatex terminal?

jwe

We've had this conversation before :)

It is a matter of personal preference. I much prefer having standalone, printable pdf figures. (I actually use 'fig2pdf' rather than 'fig2ps.) These I include in latex documents with "\includegraphics{}" rather than "\input{}". Another advantage is that these figures are easy to submit when submitting documents to journals.

Jonathan