Re: superscript, subscript, Greek characters in plot labels?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: superscript, subscript, Greek characters in plot labels?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:00:56 -0400

On 27-Oct-2005, Quentin Spencer wrote:

| Another way to deal with this problem is using the undo_string_escapes
| function:
| octave:1> undo_string_escapes('\a')
| ans = \\a
| octave:2> undo_string_escapes('\\a')
| ans = \\\\a
|
| I've also noticed the need for a potentially large number of backslashes
| when using certain commands like legend. Ideally, those functions should
| be calling undo_string_escapes internally each time they evaluate the
| strings so that the number of backslahes you need is always consistent.
| Are the legend commands the only ones you've found with this problem?

And this will all unfortunately change with 2.9.x and later versions,
which do nothing special for backslash in single-quoted strings (for
compatibility) but do expand backslash escapes in the usual way when
they appear in double-quoted strings.

But, you still have the problem that external programs may interpret
the backslashes, so even if Octave passes them along unmolested to
some output file, a program like fig2ps may need to have them doubled
up.

jwe