Re: superscript, subscript, Greek characters in plot labels?

From: A S Hodel
Subject: Re: superscript, subscript, Greek characters in plot labels?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:21:17 -0500

On Oct 26, 2005, at 7:31 PM, Ron Crummett wrote:

Hi -

Is it possible to get nicely-formatted titles and labels for plots like in MATLAB?  If I want a title to read "y = x2" I can type in "title('y = x^2')" and it will output it as described before, or if I want a Greek character, say w, I can type "\omega" like in LaTeX.  Is there some way to do this in Octave?  If so, how?  Thanks.

-Ron Crummett

I had a similar question last spring. The best answer of the many provided involves the use of the script fig2ps and a slight modification to the octave-forge print.m function so that it generates fig files with "special" text. You also need to pay attention to the fact that the backslash character "\" is escaped a couple of times in the octave scripts, so you need to write
\\\\omega
instead of
\omega
in the octave plot command legend, or, if you use the octave-forge legend command,
I think you need eight backslashes instead of four. Weird and annoying, but you get what you want in the output.

Details and an example are on my AU weblog,
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/hodelas/classes/C294999662/E20051027080644/index.html

A Scottedward Hodel, PhD, Associate Professor
Dept. Electrical and Computer Engineering, 200 Broun Hall
Auburn University, AL 36849-5201
(334) 844-1854 Fax: (34) 844-1809
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~hodelas