Missing 'dsearch'

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Missing 'dsearch'
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:42:08 -0400

On 24-Oct-2005, Maarten D. de Jong wrote:

| Unfortunately, the MATLAB equivalent is (from what I can make out) labelled
| 'private' and therefore not available as a straighforward .m-file, but only
| as a .dll. In other words, not in human-readable and thus portable,
| .oct-able format. Does anyone have a suggestion how to get dsearch to
| function on Octave?

If you mean you were planning to take code from Matlab and translate
for use with Octave, then that would not be a good solution anyway,
because the code in Matlab is not freely available.  You also might
want to check your Matlab license agreement to see whether it is
allowed, even for personal use.

It would be good to have the additional functionality for Octave, but
if it is to be useful for everyone who uses Octave and not just you,
then it can't be in derived from something that is non-free.

jwe