Re: MPI (was Re: BIG libraries with self-compiled version)

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: MPI (was Re: BIG libraries with self-compiled version)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 04:25:07 -0700 (PDT)

--- Michael Creel  wrote:

> Peter Soendergaard wrote:
>
> > It is possible to compile ATLAS exactly for use on multi-cpu shared
> > memory machines. The code uses pthreads. I have not done it myself,
> > but it should say in the documentation how to do it.
> >
> > This should be a very easy way to use more CPUs. I think that simply
> > linking Octave to a pthreads enabled ATLAS library would be
> > sufficient. The interfaces should be the exact same as the single
> > processor library.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Peter.
> >
> Hello all, of the suggestions made, which all sound pretty reasonable,
> I'm planning on trying this one. Before I do though, has anyone built
> Octave using a parallel ATLAS?  Does parallel ATLAS break operations
> into a number of threads that depends on the size of the problem, or is
> the same number of threads always used? Well, I hope to have some
> results to report in a week or so. M.

Well, atlas does take a long time to compile, but probably not a week!

Seriously though, I have configured, compiled, and installed a 2-cpu enabled
atlas on octave-2.1.71/cygwin, and it worked fine on a 2 cpu system.

The lapack source package on cygwin contains atlas, as well as instructions for
building and installing an optimized lapack/blas.

I believe you could do something similar with the Debian atlas source package.

Have fun!

Jim Phillips
volunteer octave (and lapack) cygwin maintainer