Re: MPI (was Re: BIG libraries with self-compiled version)

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: MPI (was Re: BIG libraries with self-compiled version)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:28:45 +0000

Peter Soendergaard wrote:

It is possible to compile ATLAS exactly for use on multi-cpu shared memory machines. The code uses pthreads. I have not done it myself, but it should say in the documentation how to do it.

This should be a very easy way to use more CPUs. I think that simply linking Octave to a pthreads enabled ATLAS library would be sufficient. The interfaces should be the exact same as the single processor library.

Cheers,

Peter.

Hello all, of the suggestions made, which all sound pretty reasonable, I'm planning on trying this one. Before I do though, has anyone built Octave using a parallel ATLAS? Does parallel ATLAS break operations into a number of threads that depends on the size of the problem, or is the same number of threads always used? Well, I hope to have some results to report in a week or so. M.