Re: MPI (was Re: BIG libraries with self-compiled version)

From: Peter Soendergaard
Subject: Re: MPI (was Re: BIG libraries with self-compiled version)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:39:46 +0200 (CEST)

It is possible to compile ATLAS exactly for use on multi-cpu shared memory machines. The code uses pthreads. I have not done it myself, but it should say in the documentation how to do it.

This should be a very easy way to use more CPUs. I think that simply linking Octave to a pthreads enabled ATLAS library would be sufficient. The interfaces should be the exact same as the single processor library.

Cheers,

Peter.

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 29-Sep-2005, Fredrik Lingvall wrote:

| You have to register to see the license text. You can use it freely for
| academic, research, experimental or personal use but it is not open
| source. I've cut out the text from their web-page below.

Then we should not this can't be used as a part of Octave, since the
license is not compatible with the GPL.

I don't think we should encourage its use since it is not free sofware.

jwe