Re: Mkoctfile help

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: Mkoctfile help
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:26:46 -0700

Thanks. I'll change this to the way it hopwfully was:
dr-xr-xr-x   12 root  wheel      408 Aug 13 19:26 usr

Is the above correct or should it be
drwxr-xr-x 12 root admin, that's what I have on my old computer?
What is the difference between wheel and admin?

Am I correct, that when I now want to modify an octave .m file that I'll be
able to use the sudo command to copy it to my homedir and then modify it
there.
Henry

on 8/14/05 12:32 AM, Shai Ayal at address@hidden wrote:

> Henry,
>
> I think giving yourself write permission on /usr is generally a bad idea --
> now you can delete all the files of /usr by mistake, or change something
> there and nothing will work. This could also cause a security problem if
> something you download from the Internet can now change /usr. Leave /usr to
> the system and use your homedir for playing around ...
>
> The safer way to do this is copy oregenator.cc to somewhere in your home
> dir and than compile.
>
> Shai
>
> Henry F. Mollet wrote:
>> It was a permission problem. On my new eMac with OS 10.4.2, I need
>> permission to do things in /usr. You'd think it's my computer but I have to
>> ask for permission!. To get permission to all of /usr, select the folder
>> /usr, then file/Get info/Details/ Apply to enclosed items and give yourself
>> permission to read and write. So now it worked.
>> Henry
>>
>> [/usr/local/share/octave] -bash-2.05b 510$ cd examples
>> [/usr/local/share/octave/examples] -bash-2.05b 511$ mkoctfile oregonator.cc
>> CUT a whole bunch of output from using mkoctfile
>> [/usr/local/share/octave/examples] -bash-2.05b 512$ ls
>> hideoregonator.m        oregonator.o
>> oregonator.cc           oregonator.oct
>> [/usr/local/share/octave/examples] -bash-2.05b 513$
>>

>> on 8/13/05 4:57 PM, Henry F. Mollet at address@hidden wrote:
>>

>>> This was recently discussed and I thought it was straight-forward as the
>>> following worked on Mac running Tiger (OSX10.4). Alas what worked fine only
>>> recently would not work today. I had deleted the files orgenoator.o and
>>> oregonator.oct which had been created when I last practiced using mkoctfile
>>> oregonator.cc and now I get a FATAL.