Re: Mkoctfile help

From: Mike Morley
Subject: Re: Mkoctfile help
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:59:00 +0100

Alternatively, you could just give yourself write permissions on /usr/local/share/octave which I guess ought to work without any of the security issues of the less localised write permissions.

Shai Ayal wrote:
Henry,

I think giving yourself write permission on /usr is generally a bad idea -- now you can delete all the files of /usr by mistake, or change something there and nothing will work. This could also cause a security problem if something you download from the Internet can now change /usr. Leave /usr to the system and use your homedir for playing around ...

The safer way to do this is copy oregenator.cc to somewhere in your home dir and than compile.

Shai

Henry F. Mollet wrote:

It was a permission problem. On my new eMac with OS 10.4.2, I need
permission to do things in /usr. You'd think it's my computer but I have to
ask for permission!. To get permission to all of /usr, select the folder
/usr, then file/Get info/Details/ Apply to enclosed items and give yourself
permission to read and write. So now it worked.
Henry
[/usr/local/share/octave] -bash-2.05b 510$ cd examples
[/usr/local/share/octave/examples] -bash-2.05b 511$ mkoctfile oregonator.cc
CUT a whole bunch of output from using mkoctfile
[/usr/local/share/octave/examples] -bash-2.05b 512$ ls
hideoregonator.m        oregonator.o
oregonator.cc           oregonator.oct
[/usr/local/share/octave/examples] -bash-2.05b 513$